About Me

My photo
I am a person who loves life and loves capturing it in pictures and recording it in many ways. I have been happily married for over 40 years to my wonderful husband Mike. We have raised 4 daughters, were foster parents for 11 years and are now raising 2 of our grandchildren. They are the love of our lives and the light in our eyes. At this time in our lives, we would expect to be planning for retirement, but instead we are planning for the future of these children. Starting over so to speak. At the ripe old age of 50, I found myself as a mom of a pre-schooler again so it's the second time around for us, thus my title. We attend church and teach Sunday School. Life is never dull, as you can imagine. Enjoy the pieces of our lives and allow this grandmother some bragging rights occasionally, ok very often.


Powered by Blogger.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Red Velvet Cake Experience

Today I did something I have never done in my life. I made a red velvet cake. I like red velvet cake but I'm not in LOVE with it. However, after reading this recipe online, I was literally drooling, so I had to make one. Ok, first step, go buy all the stuff I DIDN'T already have in my pantry. Do you know you need a whole bottle (1 ounce)of red food coloring ($3.28). AND 1 cup of buttermilk. Do you know buttermilk does NOT come in one cup containers? Now what am I gonna do with the rest of this buttermilk that cost $3.98 for a half gallon? I don't even like buttermilk. Seriously? Can you tell where I"m going with this? Next 1 teaspoon of vinegar, but did I have any on hand?? Of course not. Not too bummed about this because Easter is coming and you know you need vinegar to die the eggs! Besides it was only 78 cents. Ok, that was only the cake, now comes the frosting, Dream Whip, which I never buy was $2.58 and cream cheese was $1.98 and that was the WalMart brand. This is an expensive cake. Here we go, I am following the directions to a T and my brand new Kitchen Aid mixer didn't mix up the frosting all the way so we had these little lumps of cream cheese showing. No matter how much I mixed or how fast, they wouldn't cream together. Anyway. it was a beautiful heart shaped masterpiece before it was cut. After dinner I served Mike a piece with a cup of coffee and sat and waited for the rave reviews. And waited, and waited. Well, I am still waiting. I finally asked, "Did you like the cake?" No he says. It was a little bland. "Bland?" I ask.
"Yes, bland. I guess I'm spoiled with your chocolate cake." Now, I do make a mean chocolate cake. I guess I will have to eat the rest of this cake so it won't go to waste. The moral of this story is....."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess I will stick to what I know.

On another note, tonight we watched Rin Tin Tin on Netflix with the kids, it was an original movie and we laughed til we cried. There is a train scene and McKane literally lost it, he was laughing so hard. We all got tickled just listening to him cackle. I had a little "aha" moment, I thought this is what life is all about. Family all together just hanging out watching old movies. Should have served popcorn instead of Red Velvet Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment